Evictions May Not be the Answer Anymore

Evictions May Not be the Answer Anymore I am in the process of refinancing a duplex, and an appraiser will need access to the apartments in the building.  Tenants in one unit refuse to grant access due to COVID.  Is there anything I can do to get the appraiser in?...

read more

Please Be Wary of Concessions and Incentives

Please Be Wary of Concessions and Incentives A potential tenant is negotiating a lower rent.  Can I offer then a gift card to offset their move-in costs in order to keep the stated rent high? Yes you can, but you better be prepared to have that higher rent stated in...

read more

Security Deposit Dispositions During a Pandemic

After the tenant vacated, I found the bathroom full of mold and will need to have it professionally cleaned.  I was not aware of this problem during the tenancy, and it appears as though the mold growth was caused by a lack of cleaning and ventilation during the tenancy.  May...

read more

Receiving Rent from Joint Accounts

A long-time tenant got married this year, and now has a joint bank account with his wife. If I cash a check from this joint account, would I be acknowledging his partner as a tenant?  The basic answer is “probably not.”  We always urge members to refrain from any course of action or inaction that could be...

read more

Unit Registration and Licensing Law

Unit Registration and Licensing Law In December of 2020, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors passed a rent ordinance amendment that will require unit registration and licensing.  The Rent Board will be develop a form to use for this mandatory reporting.  This is major legislation that will impact the industry...

read more

Collecting Rent in the COVID Era

Collecting Rent in the COVID Era Once the Tenant Relief Act expires next year, how should I collect the 25% of unpaid rent? What if the tenant vacates before then? Will I ever be able to collect the remaining 75% of unpaid rent? Firstly, everyone should note that the state...

read more